I don't want to repeat what's already on my website, so here are twelve random facts about The Firethorn Crown, which was inspired by Grimm's The Twelve Dancing Princesses. (You can enter to win a paperback or Kindle copy during my giveaway):
1. Chapter One opens in a hedge maze made of firethorn bushes. The maze was originally made of cypress.
2. Half of the twelve princesses went through a number of name changes, especially the second oldest, Gwen. Her original name was Monarda, which I like on paper--but it sounds weird out loud. Especially locally, where it comes out something like "muh-NERD-uh" when some people say it.
3. Hazel is the only blonde princess.
4. Gwen (20) AND Hazel (19) will appear in book two of the Firethorn Chronicles, which is inspired partly by Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and Keats' poem "La Belle Dame sans Merci."
5. Melantha (18) can use pretty much any weapon, but not well. She's excellent with a slingshot or a throwing dagger.
6. Azure (14) can use pretty much any weapon (because Melantha needed someone to practice with), but she's partial to the staff and the sword.
7. In time, each princess will (hopefully) get her own story. Some of the other fairy tales and stories serving as inspiration are: The Princess and the Pea, Snow White, The Snow Queen, and The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out About the Shivers, as well as Rappaccini's Daughter, a short story by Nathaniel Hawethorne. And that's just for a start.
8. All of the sister's can ride, but Gwen is the true horse lover. Her horse's name is Buttercup.
9. There are 11 kingdoms in the world of The Firethorn Crown.
10. The main character, Lily, went through a couple of name changes--mostly because I felt "Lily" was such a commonly-used name. But she's been Lily since the start, and I couldn't change it.
11. I was originally going to write only one book, fulfill my childhood dream of becoming an author. But then the princesses appeared and had other ideas. I was outnumbered.
12. You can read the prologue to book three of the Firethorn Chronicles (planned for 2017) in Seasons: A Multi-Genre Story Collection, available for FREE on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple iBooks, Kobo, and Inktera.
Read about Lily and her sisters in The Firethorn Crown. CLICK HERE for a chance to win a free copy!
Thanks for stopping by, and don't forget to check out the other authors and their giveaways.